Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Interactive Whiteboards in Today's Classroom

Interactive Whiteboards are in most classrooms nowadays. From experience, I found it to be more of a problem, rather than actually helping students learn. The IWB's were always breaking, or the teachers' did not know how to use them and were not trained on how to either. It always seemed to take up more time trying to get them to work or try to figure out how to use them. I also found that a lot of students never paid attention to the IWB's and were not engaged in the classroom. The students seemed to learn more through the teacher actually teaching the material on a chalk board or by a hands on learning experience


My Mom is a 5th grade teacher, and she told me that the students coming up from 4th to 5th grade, don't know how to write, don't like it or cannot read well. This is due to the fact that the Elementary School, uses technology based instruction. Children nowadays are dependent on technology and seem lost without it. I was raised on a horse farm and I spent my days outside playing or working. I notice now that children just want to stay inside and watch TV or play video games. To me, this is a concern. I think technology is more of a distraction and there are other ways to go about teaching. 






Differentiation in the classroom by using IWB's, may benefit some students, but it's not for everyone. Every student is different and some learn better visually and some hands on. If the teacher is the one mainly using the IWB's, how does that help a hands on learner? Using these technology tools can either benefit or not benefit a students learning experience. Some people say that IWB's make children learn the material better and become "smarter," when in fact it is based on how the teacher delivers the content of the material and makes it interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you incorerated the part about your moms classroom and how she uses the whiteboards. I think maybe you could have added that maybe a better way to get teachers to use the IWB would be to have a better training for them and teach the teachers better ways to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you about smart boards taking so much time and teachers not being trained on them. They could be so helpful if teachers were taught how to use them correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that some students can benefit from the IWB’s, but it is not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really agree with your post! Only some students will benefit from the IWB, not all. I also like how you gave a real-life example from your mother's classroom.

    ReplyDelete